- Two greenhouse types: High-Tech and Med-Tech
- Two glass covering materials in Med-Tech (Diffuse and Clear glass)
- Artificial light in Hi-Tech
AC-cooled greenhouse increased marketable yield of tomato cultivars up to 28% than Med-Tech greenhouse
- Clearly, the production of the Dutch variety exceeds other varieties in all compartments.
- Red Gold resulted in a lesser total yield than other cultivars.
- No difference is found between Diffuse and Clear Glass Covering Materials.
Artificial Light Improved Production of Year-round Tomato Cultivars under Hi-Tech Greenhouse
- Artificial light technology produced a 10% more tomato marketable yield.
- Fulltom cultivar showed the highest impact by artificial light.
- Ton Guitar cultivar did not respond to artificial light.
Hi-Tech Greenhouses Slightly Increased Number of Fruits per Plant, while no Differences were Found between Diffuse and Clear Glass under Med-Tech Greenhouses
- Tone Guitar recorded a smaller number of fruits under diffuse glass.
- Dutch cultivar showed the best fruit number compared to other cultivars under clear glass.
Artificial Light Increased Number of Tomato Fruits per Plant up to 11%
- Dutch cultivar showed the best number of fruits compared to other cultivars.
- Red Gold and Forrester resulted in a lesser number of fruits than other cultivars in normal condition, while application of artificial light remarkably improved the Forrester number of fruits.
Significant differences between tomato cultivars regarding BER percentage
- Valouro and Forrester are the most sensitive cultivars, while Tone Guitar, Red Gold and Feisty Red are moderately sensitive.
- Fulltom, Call F1, Quaresma and Dutch Standard are the least sensitive cultivars.
Net water use in Hi-Tech greenhouse is 75 % lesser than the water use in the Mid-Tech greenhouse, with a higher production
Water use efficiency (WUE) was much lesser in Hi-Tech greenhouse
No difference was found between artificial light or no-light in Hi-Tech greenhouse
- Vaouro and Forester are the most sensitive cultivars, while Tone Guitar, Red Gold NAD Festy red are moderately sensitive
- Fulltom, Call F1, Quaresma and Dutch standard are the least sensitive cultivars
Mid-Tech Diffuse glass
Mid-Tech Clear glass
Hi-Tech Art. Light
Hi-Tech Art. Light
Net water use
Water use for the different compartments in l/m2
- High yield cultivars could be introduced to the local market, however hygiene practices must be adapted.
- Greenhouse cover materials did not affect tomato production.
- CO2 enrichment is the limited factor of increasing yield and number of fruits under Hi-tech as compared to Med-tech.
- Further investigation is needed to optimize BER and Artificial light under the Hi-Tech greenhouse.
- Hi-Tech greenhouses improved WUE by 85% as compared to Med-Tech greenhouses.